Sunday, December 26, 2010

Diane Wilson, the Goddess of the Gulf Coast


Aline Smithson, founder and editor of Lenscratch, asked me to submit my favorite image that I photographed this year for the end of year Lenscratch. I've been working for years on a documentary concerning environmental injustice. On April 20th the Deepwater Horizon drilling rig explosion kills 11 men resulting in the BP Oil Spill, which is proving to be the largest man made environmental disaster the country has ever seen.

On April 17 & 18, I attended an Environmental Justice conference and met Diane Wilson, author of "An Unreasonable Woman". Wanting to include something about the Gulf with my Environmental Injustice project, I traveled to Seadrift, Texas Memorial Day weekend and photographed and interviewed Diane Wilson. Diane later protested at BP CEO's Tony Haywards testimony hearings in DC regarding the spill. Diane was arrested. Because of her heroic actions, this photograph of her on the Gulf is my favorite this year. To me, Diane Wilson is the Goddess of the Gulf.

No comments:

Post a Comment